Translate

Tuesday 24 June 2014

Unit 54 - Film & Video Editing Techniques

Test Videos





Joke trailer


Voice over a trailer of anything and just say random stuff, over exaggerating how good the product/film/game is, or a parody.




In-game comedy sketch


Use one of the Halo games to make a comedy show. Taking and using celebrity/character lines and putting them over the top of the game making it look like they're playing or are in the game.



Storyboard










Final Video






I came up with this idea after having a Shaun of the dead/Hot Fuzz montage/scene transition pop into my head randomly. My friend, Damon, came up with a bit and I carried it on from there. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y98tKxyQ1Xw

Evaluation



I have created a short ninety-second video using the idea of the Hot Fuzz/Shaun of The Dead scene transitions. They inspired me and I took those transitions to make a short montage at the beginning, which then turned out to be a random Hitman type video with a bright mood instead of a dark mood.

I had a few ideas to choose from. I chose the real world video, because my other ideas were using video games, and the main part of the Unit was to learn about camera shots, which would have been difficult to do in a game, plus it would have taken much longer to make a video using a game due to getting everything perfectly on time.

The people that helped me make my video were Damon and my dad. My dad held the camera while I played for the montage, and Damon held the camera for the second part, and then played the oblivious person being shot. I recorded Damon being shot.

The development took a while. The first time recording the first part (montage), I tried making the room dark by closing the curtains whilst only letting a little light in. It didn’t work out so well, because the scenes came out a lot darker than we thought. The second time I had the curtains wide open, and it may not have been what I wanted, but it worked better than the first shot.  

I was having troubles coming up with an idea for the second part that came after the montage. Damon had an idea, so I extended on his idea and we ended up with the second part of the video. Damon volunteered to be the person I shoot.

There were a lot more scenes shot than there are in the final video. One of the scenes was of me getting angry over not being able to do my tie up properly, and another one was of me walking out of the room with the gun resting on my shoulder.

I used techniques that I already knew in video editing, so I didn’t really learn much from doing this. To me, iMovie doesn’t seem to be the best programme to use to make a more professional video, for example, the slow motion part, which I made, wasn’t really slow motion, it was just frame by frame. If I was using a more professional programme like Sony Vegas Pro, the slow motion part would have been a lot smoother and it would have looked a little more professional.

An improvement to my video would be to add more sounds. I didn’t like the part where it was silent when I was opening the window and setting up, while the rest of the video had sound. It was a little awkward watching it back when it was finished. 

I am happy with the outcome of my video. People found it funny, and I didn’t expect it to be funny at all. It came out a little slower than I thought of, but it was close enough. I also helped Damon making his video about Action Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment