Translate

Monday 3 March 2014

Unit 1 - Art of the game


Designing a poster in a gothic style for a survival horror game.

Before making the poster, I drew out ideas of what to use in the poster. The hat and the Mushroom's were simple to think of because it is a very iconic part of Mario. They were easy to draw, but took a while to get perfect.


My initial idea was to make Mario and Luigi zombies. All the good guys from the Mario series would be zombies and the bad guys would be the ones trying to survive.


This is the original Mario level image that I used the final poster design. As I said before, I changed the brightness, contrast and saturation to make it less entertaining and more gothic.

I added the grey clouds to make it a little more dark and gothic. Without the clouds the background would have looked a little boring or too cheerful with the blue sky.



The way I manipulated the picture in Photoshop was by taking a picture of a Mario level from the game and changing the brightness, contrast and saturation. I added a sky with grey clouds and changed the brightness, contrast and saturation to match the darkness of the clouds. I drew Mario's hat and the Mushroom's, and then photo copied them into Photoshop. I added colours to the hat and mushroom's and placed them into the scene. I downloaded a Super Mario Brothers font from DaFont and used it for the title above the whole picture. I added the actual colours to it, but a little bit darker. The clouds of the Mario level were still white, so I went over them with a brush and painted them grey.

I tried making a similar look to the Amnesia The Dark Descent poster. It gave me an idea of changing the flowing water below the rose to red to show it's blood, and changing the rose to Mario's hat giving the intention of Mario's death. Obviously it didn't go the same way as I wanted it to and used two different images to make one instead of just using the background of the Amnesia poster.

Redesign a popular game character as an artwork

German Expressionism



























In this task I had to redesign a popular game character in a famous artwork. I chose Lara Croft and German Expressionism. I tried to get the same type of art style.
(Not a lot of experience with Photoshop back then)


Research


Isaac Hannaford



I like this concept art because it is very highly detailed and it is the type of style I would like to make my concepts. It also has a very strong atmosphere and is very detailed. The use of colour is very well done, it makes the character at the front stand out from the rest of the scene.


This concept has a more sketchy look to it, but the colours make it look a lot less sketchy from a distance. This also has a lot a detail, but it is mostly shown on the main character. This concept also has a strong atmosphere.


Francois L Cannels (IgnusDei - DeviantArt)


Art for Sins Of A Solar Empire



This concept is very detailed. and it looks a little more difficult than the concept below. It has quite a few little bits and pieces coming off of everything, and I like that. It shows how much the creator has put into it, making this concept a very highly detailed and very well visualised piece of art.


This concept art reminds me of H.R Giger. It has the same effect and the type of atmosphere as H.R Giger's Alien work. I like it because it is simple, with the colours making it look a lot more detailed. The grainy/grit effect gives the concept a great look, making it show that the character being shown is probably an enemy.


Task 3


Character & Environment/Level Design
























No comments:

Post a Comment