Translate

Wednesday 29 January 2014

Unit 34 - Digital Imaging

First Edit



Second Edit


First time editing a planet into a sky picture. Not the best.

Third Edit


 Saturn in the Background :)

Fourth Edit

New York Edit.










Light and Shade

(It's bad, tutorial was confusing)


Summer Collage




Hypnotic Tortoise




...


Surf


Tiger



Holiday Collage (New York)



Street Collage



...




Collage Research


Focal Points





Research







Proposal



Moodboards





Architecture Artworks/Collages













Images Used

These images were used in my first collage.







These images were cut up and used to make my latest collage.












Collage























Artist Critique


Julieanne Kost


Why is her work topical?

      Her work is topical because it combines photography and digital imaging techniques to construct a world using her dreams and her personal reality. She creates the images to form a cohesive message.  

What ideas, both through form and content, are they exploring? 

      She likes to construct a world similar enough to appear familiar, yet obviously an interpretation to the physical reality that surrounds us. Julieanne uses her dreams and personal reality to create her artworks, but they are abstract enough to be based on each individuals history and life experiences.

What techniques were employed to produce the selected work? 

      Julieanne has taken photographs of textures and landscapes, and scanned objects she found, as well as using charcoal. She has also used other paintings for inspiration. 

How does their work relate to traditional art forms or the works of earlier artists? 

      Julieanne's work relates to impressionism because it can give people different opinions and they are wide in contrast. People don't have the same opinion when viewing these types of  images. The stories behind the images can be different to so many other people.

How does it define, critique, or embrace the future? 

      Her work can, and probably has inspired many people to create and keep the impressionist art style alive. One of her works makes me think of loneliness, due to the leaf being alone in an endless ocean. 

Do you respond (or NOT respond) to its content, its construction, its aesthetics, or its storyline? 

      I like her work, but I don't really understand the story behind some of her works. 





Evaluation

      I have made two collages on Architecture/buildings around Bristol. 
      
      On my first collage I used three pictures of different style of buildings and cut them into pieces. The styles were modern and olden style gothic. I moved the cut up pieces around giving the buildings a different style, making the buildings look bloated or crooked. On the @t Bristol sphere, I gave it a wavy look by using the skew tool. I placed a picture of a garage door I took a while ago and used it in the background as a texture.

      On my second collage, I made it more simple. I took a few images of @t Bristol while panning the camera across. I used those images and cut them up into smaller pictures, and placing them back in the same place but not in the exact same position, giving the image a disjointed and fragmented look, while trying to keep the shape of the building. I placed a gradient in the background just behind the made up images. 

      The point of my collages was to combine old and new architecture. To some people, the message behind my first collage shows that modern architecture is not as sturdy as the old historical buildings due to me making the design of the gothic style building more wide. It also resembled modern architecture slowly taking over the historical architecture and soon replacing it. 

      It is useful and I could use it in the future as an example to improve on some work and remind me that doing something random with a collage can still represent a message about the work to people.

      I made one collage that wasn't successful because I didn't put a lot of time into it. The collage was too plain and it didn't really represent a message, it was just a mirrored image. This collage gave me an even bigger understanding of how to approach a concept from different angles.

      My first collage was successful because it has an absurdist approach due to the mix of non-matching objects. It contributes to my work because it has given me an easier understanding of how to mix materials and made it easier for me to make this sort of art style. 

      My first collage was said to be cluttered to some people. There isn't much of a focal point to my first collage, so some people can't concentrate and move around the collage to understand what the message is behind my work. The materials were just pictures I found that I once took on my phone, so I used them because they were part of buildings. I could improve this by not randomly throwing in a texture because I like it, but a texture that fits with the style of the collage. There is no white space in my first collage, so I have changed that in my second one.

My second collage is a lot less cluttered, and I think it has a focal point now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment